Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Ink Review: De Atramentis Sahara Grey

This ink almost ranks as bad as another recent ink I reviewed (J. Herbin Bouquet D'antan) I made a remark with the last ink that it would be better off as an artists ink. I believe this ink would also fall in that category of ranking.


Horrible, horrible ink! When I first started writing with this ink (In a neon yellow Lamy Safari "Fine" nib) I was not impressed. I actually had the same feelings and concerns about the pen, like I did when reviewing an ink by J. Herbin.



 So, undoubtedly I gave the ink the benefit of the doubt. I wrote with it some more, played with it on different papers, and made sure that it was facing nip down (with the cap on) when not in use. I was very disappointed when it worked poorly in my Paperblanks journal.

Writing in a Paperblanks Journal
So what are the pro's and con's of this ink?

Pro's
  • It is a beautiful natural color shade
  • It is at least "somewhat" readable
  • Makes a great artist ink
Con's
  • Seems pretty dry
  • Hardly able to read it
  • Very poor shading
  • Goes on very light (although it does dry a bit darker; making it more readable, but not by much
  • Really too light of a color for anyone wanting to write
Overall, this ink is a bad ink. I am not impressed by the brand or the color. Not what I was expecting. Needless to say, writing and reviewing this ink has caused me to go back to Goulet Pen's website and re-do my "Wishlist".

1 comment: